It is a great feeling for a mother when her baby begins to have food. It usually around the 4th or 5th month that the doctor's advice you to give semi solids to your baby. Now the question arises that what a mother should give that is healthy and liked by her baby. So here's a guideline for all mothers who have a number of questions regarding BABY FOOD.
WHAT TO GIVE & WHEN?
WHAT TO GIVE & WHEN?
- During the 4th - 5th months include cereals in the diet, you can give iron-fortified baby rice, barley or oatmeal cereal (dry).
- As the baby reaches his 6th month, you can add veggies like carrots, squash. sweet potatoes, peas,green beans, spinach and beets.
- Till the 7th month, fruits can form a part of your baby's diet. These can be oven-dried,apple juice, strained fruits; high protein baby cereals (dried).
- As the baby turns to his 8th month you can include meat and meat products like strained meats: beef, liver, turkey,alternates chicken, egg yolks. cooked dried beans
- By the time your baby turns 10 months , make sure he gets plenty of cheese, plain yogurt, finger foods, sliced meats, soft cooked vegetables green beans, carrot coins cut in quarters, broccoli crackers.
- As the baby reaches the age of 1 year , you can give him finger foods or sliced foods. These can include whole egg,banana slices, pear slices. peach slices,watermelon. cantaloupe, crackers,cheese slices and macaroni
Make Your Own Baby Food
Methods to prepare Baby Food.
You can choose any of the following methods to prepare food for your baby , depending upon the type of food and your convenience.
- SIEVE OR STRAINER . A strainer or a sieve or a clean wire mesh can be used to puree the fruits. This can be done by passing the boiled vegetables through the sieve with the help of a spoon.
- MASH this method is ideal for food like bananas, or cooked foods without skin , apple, potatoes, egg yolks etc. You can use a fork to mash the food, so that it becomes easy for the baby to swallow.
A food mill can be used by cutting the cooked foods into pieces and putting into the mill. The seeds and peels will remain there giving you fine food for your baby.
Another method that is common and widely used is by finely chopping a food and mixing it with a liquid.
You can also use a blender to mix certain food formulas with fruits or milk , by blending them to the required consistency. This method is quite fast and easy.
For Baby and Kids recipes try here Recipes
© Kir.org - All Rights Reserved.